Cleared Rebel Commanders WIP Archive

Moderator: DCO

FrancescaVeronica
Name: Francesca Veronica
2020 Troops:: 1
Total Troops: 10

Fran's cleared TLJ Connix /Generic Junior controller costume

Post by FrancescaVeronica » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:25 pm

First of all I want to thank Empathy for her very helpful build thread. I've used it loads for information.
http://rebellegion.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... =62&t=1263

I'm gonna start with the boots as these are the only thing that differs between Connix and a Generic Junior controller.

Generic boots
I started out with these shoes from next

I removed all the buckles and straps and spray painted the shoes brown, I've been meaning to try out leather paint (even though these shoes are not made of real leather) but so far spray paint has been working best for me.
For the straps at the top I used these leather like bits of foam that I still had at home from another project. Sadly the company that sold it doesn't exist anymore. I also painted the foam brown and then glued it all down with a rectangular ring in the middle. I'd say the foam straps are around an inch wide.

The finished boots

Connix Boots
For Connix I started out with these just fab boots I found on eBay. I was looking for some that don't have any elastics in the back and have this little fabric triangle on the side.

I also removed all the buckles and straps and spray painted the boots brown. One of the straps was long enough to turn it into the strap that Connix has at the top of her boots. So I adjusted it and sewed it onto the boots. I also added two holes to the strap and a stud to the boot. I'm pretty sure I got the studs as well as the rectangular rings from eBay but I don't really remember as I used them for Rey and had them lying around for years.

The finished boots

Trousers
I started out with these trousers from amazon in beige https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
I ordered two. One to use to make the knee pads. First I added the seams and then I used Empathy's method on how to add kneepads, and stitched them on by hand.
This is what my knee pad pattern looked like.

I didn't add the belt loops and the fancy pockets as the jacket would cover that part anyways.

Then I dyed the trousers. I used a dying recipe that a Rey cosplayer came up with to dye Rey's brown tunic in TLJ, as I thought the colours were quite matching.
The recipe is for liquid rit dye.
10 2/3 tablespoons dark brown, 10 2/3 tablespoons dark green, 5 1/3 tablespoons charcoal grey and I just dyed it in my kitchen sink for a few minutes.
The finished trousers

Blaster
I ordered my blaster parts from etsy. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/6696609 ... _purchases
I assembled and sanded it

And then did some painting and weathering

Belt
I followed Empathy's tutorial regarding bold width and belt buckle. I don't work with real leather so my leather belt consists of 2mm wide foam sandwiched between two faux leather pieces.
This is the one I like to use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Then I did paint over it with some watered down acrylics

I also added some velcro on the inside

Holster
I made up a pattern by staring at various pictures.

And then made it the same way as the belt with the foam piece between two faux leather pieces and then painted it all dark brown.

Rank Badge
I did get approved with a badge made of worbla

but Geoff made me this really awesome 3d printed one, so that's what I'm using now

The Quilting Jacket from Hell
The pattern I used was a lot of trial and error
I used this yellow fabric from minervacrafts for the outside it's called Coated Cotton Fabric Mustard and I used the non-coated side to go on the outside.

I think I used 'New Look Sewing Pattern 6325: Misses' Easy Coat and Vest pattern C' as a base but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It was a lot of trial and error making it work out as you have to change the complete back.

To get the quilted lines, I looked for batting at my local fabric shop and for some cheap underneath fabric to sandwich the batting in-between (I hope that makes sense) I used some spray glue to glue together my outside fabric, then the batting and then the cheap fabric together so it wouldn't move around during sewing.
Here you can see the different layers and also my lining. For the lining I went with Supersoft Anti Static Dress Lining Fabric 212 on minervacrafts.

Also don't forget to draw on the lines if you're not great at sewing straight

My quilting lines are around 1cm apart.
Then I sewed the whole jacket together and lined it. Here are some progress pictures

I added taking it in a lot around the waist to give it more shape.
I also added the buckle on the back

The lined jacket before I added the collar. For closure I used velcro and at the collar a little button

Jacket fit before I fixed the fit of the collar

For the starbird, I printed one out from the internet and used it as a template.

Then I used some rust coloured fabric paint and dabbed it on with an old brush to make it look worn.
Fixed collar with old rank badge and starbird

Hair
For Connix I did her two braided buns. I made two pigtails, braided them and pinned it into buns

And for my generic I just did a simple french braid

I hope this is helpful :grin:
Last edited by FrancescaVeronica on Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 12 times in total.

tenebris
Base Membership Officer, Detachment CO
Name: empathy gray
2020 Troops:: 0
Total Troops: 6
501st Number: 70969
MMCC Name:: Tenebris

Re: Fran's TLJ cleared Connix /Generic Junior controller costume

Post by tenebris » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:32 pm

Awesome Fran thank you for detailing your build for us :)

FrancescaVeronica
Name: Francesca Veronica
2020 Troops:: 1
Total Troops: 10

Re: Fran's TLJ cleared Connix /Generic Junior controller costume

Post by FrancescaVeronica » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:11 am

tenebris wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:32 pm
Awesome Fran thank you for detailing your build for us :)
No problem! I promised you way too long ago that I would do it. Eventually I'm also gonna sort out the sizes of the pictures :)

Return to “Rebel Commanders Cleared Threads”