Empathy's TFA controller (cropped yellow vest)

Start your Rebel Commander Wips here

Moderator: DCO

tenebris
Base Membership Officer, Detachment CO
Name: empathy gray
2020 Troops:: 0
Total Troops: 6
501st Number: 70969
MMCC Name:: Tenebris

Empathy's TFA controller (cropped yellow vest)

Post by tenebris » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:38 pm

So I did quite an in-depth build for the connix version of this before the forum crash. I'm re apping mine in as a generic with updated boots and belt.

Here's the Standard : http://newsite.rebellegion.com/kayden-k ... llers-tfa/ I'd say the only difference with it is the boots. Also in TLJ we see them with blasters.

Refs:

Shirt:

If you need a pattern ref: Simplicity 7497 is very nice, but its a vintage one. Check etsy and ebay. (Note: the shirt is the same shirt used on the resistance officer TFA with the gold vest and the brown melton jacket with shoulder detail).

Fabric is light calico, dyed. With yellow always go darker as in photographs it looks more yellow. (Kona cottons have some really nice yellows, that would work for both the vest and waistcoat).

Dye recipe: For 350 grams fabric. x2 packets sunflower yellow dylon hand dye in 12litres of water for 4 mins. Then x1 packet of dylon dark brown hand dye (the old one with the fir cone on the front) in 8litres of water for 1 min, then I hot washed it back slightly.

If I re- make one at any point I might use woodland brown for a watered down bath......There are two shirts though a lighter and a darker. You can include a front off center fastening for generics too.

Waistcoat:

My waistcoat was drafted, but pattern wise the closest thing I've found is Newlook 6203 I've not tried it, but I think it would work. If you made it a size larger, cut the back on the fold and left the collar off...then you would just need to adjust the hem. I think it would be a good starting point.

Mine is two layers of thin quilt batting (from fabric land) piped with piping cord (just C and H fabrics bog standard stuff) then self lined.

The rebel symbol I created by printing off a rebel symbol from the internet, playing with the size on the photocopier and then cutting it out to make a stencil, I drew round this in chalk then painted the edges and sponged the rest on to make it look more printed/weathered. I used a mix or red and brown dylon fabric paint.

Trousers:

Trousers are Olive sanded twill, I drafted my own. Anya has since created a good guide for the controller trousers. Genrics can also wear brown. (Note, if you make them in brown they can also be used for Junior controller TLJ full yellow jacket, as the trousers are the same).

Belt:

Tandy smaller size belt blank (I think its the one for 1 3/4 sizes belts, you can only get them on ebay or tandy USA now). weathered with acrylic and stuff I had lying about.
The belt has to fit flush to the buckle so i cut away some groves so it fits and gluede with ecoflow leather glue.
The belt is 2 inches, I got it from leather world,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/leatherworld ... 1438.l2754

Boots:

Crow props Poe boots, you can still get a few sizes from po-zu...they also have an outlet on ebay its worth a look.

https://crowprops.bigcartel.com/products?search=poe

Return to “Rebel Commanders Work in Progress”